A SEWREE fast track court Tuesday rejected radical musical group Kabir Kala Manch (KKM) activist Sheetal Sathe’s bail application. After being underground for over two years, Sathe (27), who is eight months pregnant, surfaced outside Mantralaya in April along with her husband Sachin Mali (27) and had courted arrest.
They were declared absconding accused in a case registered in 2011 against 15 persons for their alleged role in supporting and funding Naxal activities in the state. Sathe and Mali are facing charges under several sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for their alleged involvement with the banned organisation Communist Party of India (Maoist). While seven persons were arrested in 2010, Sathe, Mali and six others were declared absconding accused.
Her lawyer Vijay Hiremath had moved the bail application on humanitarian grounds soon after her arrest. Sathe and Mali had gone underground in the wake of arrests of other KKM members in 2010. However, following their release on bail, the couple courted arrest. They were arrested on April 2 by Maharashtra ATS. A month later, two more KKM members courted arrest.
“Sympathy for Maoist philosophy with a likelihood to indulge in various violent activities is not sufficient ground to conclude that the accused are presently active members of the terrorist organization,” the Bombay High Court had held while granting bail to four KKM members last year.
- Musical Protest for release of Kabir Kala Manch Members (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Sheetal Sathe’s Baby maybe Born in Prison, Bail Rejected #Injustice (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Support pours in for arrested Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- March in Protest Against State-sponsored Censorship on Art and Activism (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- India – Democracy needs their song- Kabir Kala Manch (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Torch light Procession and protest meet in support of KKM at Gorakhpur (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)