Theatre activists Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali were arrested on 2 April 2013 on various charges, including criminal conspiracy and being part of a banned organization. They are being held in Mumbai, India and are at risk of torture or other ill-treatment.
Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali are members of Kabir Kala Manch (KKM), a group which uses protest music and theatre to campaign on human rights issues, including dalit rights and caste-based violence and discrimination in the western Indian state of Maharashtra.
On 17 April 2011 they were two of 15 people charged by the police under India’s principal anti-terror legislation of being members of, and supporting and recruiting people for, the Communist Party of India (Maoist) – a banned armed group fighting for more than a decade to overthrow elected governments in several Indian states. They also faced several criminal charges including extortion, forgery and impersonation. Seven people were arrested, while the others – including Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali, who are married to each other – could not be traced by the police until earlier this month.
On 2 April 2013, Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali appeared before the legislative assembly of Maharashtra in what they said was a protest against the charges levelled against them. They were arrested by the Mumbai police and brought before a magistrate, who remanded Sheetal Sathe to judicial custody until 17 April, and Sachin Mali to police custody until 10 April. According to her mother, Sheetal Sathe is six months pregnant. Activist and documentary filmmaker Anand Patwardhan was present with Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali on 2 April. He said, “Due to our previous experience with the police, we are apprehensive of what may happen to Sachin Mali in police custody.”
Reports of torture and forced confessions by police in India are very common, and the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, a unit of the state police, has in particular faced several allegations of torture.
The Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), under which they have been charged, uses sweeping and overbroad definitions of ‘acts of terrorism’ and ‘membership’ of ‘unlawful’ organizations, and does not comply with India’s international legal obligations.
Please write immediately in English, Marathi, Hindi or your own language:
- Urging the Maharashtra authorities to ensure that Sachin Mali is protected from torture and other ill-treatment while in police custody, and Sheetal Sathe, who is six months pregnant, is provided with any medical care that she requires;
- Urging the Maharashtra authorities to ensure that Sheetal Sathe, Sachin Mali and the other accused activists are tried in proceedings that meet international fair trial standards.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS BEFORE 17 MAY 2013 TO:
Inspector-General of Prisons (South Region, Mumbai)
Mumbai – 400008, India
Salutation: Dear Mr Lokhande
Additional Director-General of Police, Anti-Terror Squad, Mumbai
DGP, Police Headquarters
SB Road, Old Council Hall
Colaba, Mumbai – 400001, India
Salutation: Dear Mr Maria
And copies to:
Home Minister, Maharashtra
7th Floor, World Trade Centre
Mumbai – 400005, India
- Kabir Kala Manch- Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali ‘ Satyagrah not Surrender’ #Videos #KKM (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE – Kabir Kala Manch Members Sheetal Sathe and Sachin Mali court arrest (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Police silencing songs of dissent ? (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Activist couple with alleged Maoist links presented in court (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Court Arrest proves they are innocent: Sheetal Sathe’s mother (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- Activists, accused of Naxal links, make public appearance after two years (kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com)
- KKM couple court arrest outside Maharashtra legislature (kractivist.wordpress.com)